Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Ginsberg/Howl

I have to admit that I read this poem 4 times!!  The first time, I just thought it was a clusterf**k of words put together by a raving lunatic high on dope and purging gibberish on to paper.  The second time, I thought the same thing!  The last two times I read it, I started underlining certain phrases and words and really thinking about what he was saying.  It was then that I came to LOVE these words (as messed up as they are)!
"a lost battalion of platonic conversationalists jumping down the stoops off fire escapes off windowsills off Empire State out of the moon,..."  In my opinion, Ginsberg is trying to tell us that it is the 'underdog' of society who is brilliant and forgotten.  Part I travels the world with the narrator.  He sees the grime, dirt, and decay of man everywhere he goes.  But..... he also sees the lost potential burried under the hopelessness; "who sang out of their windows in despair, fell out of the subway window, jumped in the filthy Passaic, leaped on negroes, cried all over the street..."  Howl seems to cry about the lost souls.  Is it about drug addicts, derelicts, winos, businessmen, kings, and queens?  All of the above!!  The focus seems to be more on the addicts and lunatics, but aren't they just as brilliant as the 'normal' person? 
When you finally get into Part II you realize it applies to Part I.  The "best minds of my generation destroyed by madness" (from Part I) are all affected by "Moloch" (in Part II).  I believe Ginsberg's 'Moloch' represents the mind and the madness that can eat at it (especially when fueled by drugs).  "Moloch whose name is the Mind! Moloch in whom I sit lonely! Moloch in whom I dream Angels!".  When the mind is altered, it dreams and wanders the world, much like the lost and forgotten derelicts who wander the streets.  Theirs is a different world and sometimes, it is more tolerable when seen through drug-fogged eyes.
The poem can be disected in soooo many ways.  If I knew more about history (and government) in the 1950's, then I'm sure I could analyze the poem differently and give it a political spin.  Moloch could easily represent government or some crap like that.  But, I do think Ginsberg was trying to open the eyes of the "non-artist" so they could really see the hidden, artistic beauty of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment