Wednesday, March 23, 2011

The Gilded Six-Bits

     I thoroughly enjoyed this short story.  Hurston's writing is so poetic in its descriptions---
    
"Her stiff young breasts thrust forward aggressively like broad-based cones with tips lacquered in black".  "Big pitcher of buttermilk beaded with pale drops of butter from the churn".
"The shapeless enemies of humanity that live in the hours of Time had waylaid Joe".

    I love how Hurston blends these eloquent descriptions with the vernacular.  While reading the dialogue between Joe and Missie May, I found myself pulled away from the descriptive poetry and thrust into a shabby, southern, black neighborhood house where collards are cookin-up on the stove and love is in the air.
     I was also drawn into Joe and Missie's relationship.  I found myself thinking how wonderfully playful and loving they were with each other:  a happy, young couple still in the honeymoon phase of their marriage.  I was literally heartbroken when the story finds Missie cheating on Joe with Slemmons.  I was furious at Missie for lying to me and I found myself wanting to kick Slemmons in his 'twig and berries"!!!  My reactions surprised me and I realized that Hurston ROCKS!!  Through her lovely descriptions and her dialogue, she allowed me to become a part of this story in only 8  pages!!  I am somewhat happy that Joe and Missie stayed together.  I think that their relationship will be forever stained by Missie's infidelity.  The baby boy will  grow up in a house that will never again have the sense of playfulness and love that it once did.  And all because Missie wanted some "gold money".  Tramp!

No comments:

Post a Comment