Monday, February 7, 2011

Edith Wharton / Roman Fever

     Can anyone say "CAT FIGHT"???????????  This story was great.  At first, I thought it was going to be some story about how Mrs. Slade and Mrs. Ansley were going to weep into their tea about getting older.  I also thought there would be some remarks about how they want to live vicariously through their daughters.  I was pleasantly surprised when they began chatting about their past, and a letter, and what could only be described as a love triangle.
     The letter that promised a tryst with Mr. Slade (Delphin) was written and sent to Mrs. Ansley by her "friend", Mrs. Slade.  I can only imagine that it was done to test the strength of the two women's friendship, as well as the fidelity of her then boyfriend, Delphin.  One of the highlights of the story was when Mrs. Ansley informed Mrs. Slade that she actually did meet Delphin that night despite the fact the letter was falsified.  Mrs. Slade had not anticipated that Mrs. Ansley would ANSWER the letter.  So, over tea in Rome, Mrs. Slade finds out her husband and Mrs. Ansley actually "hooked - up".  She kind of shrugs it off and says, "Yes; I was beaten there.  But I oughtn't to begrudge it to you, I suppose.  At the end of all these years.  After all, I had everything; I had him for twenty-five years.  And you had nothing but that one letter that he didn't write." (pg.852)  This is actually somewhat of a forgiving remark (with a side of 'slap in the face') but the real shocker is Mrs. Ansley's remark.  (Just a quick note here: the two women were always comparing their daughters.  Mrs. Slade's daughter, Jenny, was just not up to her standards (being high-class and all).  Mrs. Ansley's daughter, Barbara, is brilliant and more to the liking of Mrs. Slade. "I appreciate her. And perhaps envy you.  Oh, my girl's perfect; if I were a chronic invalid I'd - well, I think I'd rather be in Jenny's hands...... I always wanted a brilliant daughter...and never quite understood why I got an angel instead." (Mrs. Slade speaking on Barbara pg.848))
     The story ends on the best (and quite shocking) remark made by Mrs. Ansley in response to Mrs. Slade's remark about having everything "and you had nothing but that letter".   Mrs. Ansley says, " I had Barbara."
Take that Mrs. Slade. 

No comments:

Post a Comment